The Developer Tools enable you to test and build requests to the Shipment Server API. This article will help you get started.
You need a Portal login to access the Developer Tools. Contact nShift Customer Service to get a Portal account if you don't have one already.
Activating the Developer Tools
- Log into Portal.
- Go to New Bookings and click the Settings tab.
- Scroll down and check Show developer tools under the Production headline.
- You will now have access to the Developer Tools at the bottom of all relevant pages under New Bookings.
Using the Developer Tools
The Developer Tools section has two drop-down menus where you can set the label type and the command. Notice that there are different commands available depending on which page you are on. If shipment data is needed in the request, the Developer Tools will use the data you have filled in on the current page. This way you can easily fill in relevant information and see what the request will look like.
The Data field shows the request. Some commands support additional options, which are added in the Options field. Please see our list of methods here to see which options are available for each command. The Response field shows the response you receive after sending your request.
Example of how to create a SubmitShipment request
The SubmitShipment command creates a shipment and generates a response with a label.
- Go to New Bookings > New and fill out all the fields related to the shipment, i.e. address fields, carrier, and goods information.
- In the Developer Tools section, choose the SubmitShipment command. This will show the request in the Data field, using the shipment data that you have filled in. You can fill in data in reference fields, messages, etc., and immediately see how they are added to the request.
- Click the Send button. If the request was successful, you will get a response back containing the label. If something is missing in the request, you will get an error message back in the response.
- Click the View labels button to see the label(s) of a successful SubmitShipment request.
- Use the Reformat data if you have edited it or copy-pasted a request into the data field and want the data in a reading-friendly format.
Tip: If you are building requests for Shipment Server, you can always copy-paste your requests into the Data field and test them. If your request already contains all the necessary information, you don't have to fill in the fields on the page. The user interface just provides an easy way to find out how data is added to a request.
For more information on Commands, Methods and Options click here.
For an appendix of objects and fields, click here.