This article will explain how to install a Zebra USB printer on a Windows machine and then installing it in nShift On-premises. The printer used is a Zebra GK420d but the steps will be similar for other Zebra printer models.
Installing the printer on your computer
Before connecting the printer to your machine, you should install the Window printer drivers. This is done by installing Zebra Setup Utilities (step 1-4 below). This software includes the drivers for many printer models, e.g. Zebra GK402d, Zebra ZM400, Zebra LP2844.
If you by accident plugged in the printer before any driver was installed, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers in Windows and uninstall the device.
- Download the file for Zebra Setup Utilities here to install the printer drivers.
- Run the file as administrator and follow the installation wizard. You will be asked to accept the terms of the license agreement, and you may change the installation folder.
- When the wizard informs you, that This application requires using ZDesigner Windows drivers version 1.5.09 or later, just check the box I have read the information above and click Next.
- In the last screen, make sure that Run Zebra Setup Utilities now is checked. This will make sure that all drivers needed will be pre-installed in Windows. Click Finish to complete the installation.
- Choose USB and click Next.
- Connect the printer to your computer using a USB cable.
- The printer install guide will now automatically start. Click Manual Install if it doesn't start. Follow the instructions in the guide. Choose ZDesigner GK420d from the list of printers.
- Click Finish when the install guide is complete.
- Your printer is now installed and should appear on the printer list in Zebra Setup Utilities. Try clicking Refresh Printer list if it's not showing.
- You're now ready to configure the printer in nShift On-premises.
Installing the printer in nShift On-premises
- Go to Setup in On-premises. Right-click in the right side window on Installation level and select New > Server Printers or double-click on the icon if it has been added previously.
- In the Printer Manager window, click New to add a printer.
- Select your printer on the list and click OK.
- Specify the type in the Type column. Select GK420D for a Zebra GK420d printer and click OK.
- The printer has now been added to nShift On-premises. If you want to set it as your default label printer, click Advanced while the printer is highlighted.
- Select Settings > Set default printer > Labels and click OK.
Note: In some versions of On-premises, there is a visual bug where the Paper Source and Size are not found when adding a Server or Client printer. The solution is to choose "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" to load the Paper Source and Size and then afterward add the desired printer.
Read more about printer setup in these articles:
- Printer setup in nShift On-premises
- Printer setup in Ticket (configuration of Drop Zone)
- Setting up auto print to file