This article will explain how to use invoice control and the deviation tools in Portal. Some of the features depend on your subscription. Please contact nShift if you would like access to features that are currently not a part of your subscription or solution.
Content of this article:
Use the invoice report to see deviations between the sender price and the price from the carrier. The sender price is the shipment price from freight rate calculation. The carrier price is based on carrier return data sent directly from the carriers to Portal or carrier invoice files uploaded to Portal.
- Log in to Portal and go to Insights.
- Click on the Invoice tab.
- Select a date range and click Run report.
- The Deviation column will show the difference between Sender Price and Carrier Price
- If you need to add or remove columns from your report, click the action wheel in the top right corner and make your configuration.
Contact nShift Customer service if you do not receive return data on your carriers. It is not all carriers who support sending return data to Portal but if they support it, nShift Customer Service can help you activate it.
Upload an invoice file
If your carriers do not support sending return data with prices directly to Portal, you can upload invoice files from the carrier. These files must be in CSV format containing the values at the bottom of this section. It is important that the file follows the correct formatting and it must include the headers. See the file under the section Example file which can be used as a template. You need one file per carrier.
To upload an invoice file:
- Log into Portal and go to Insights > Invoice file upload.
- Select the carrier to which the invoice file is related.
- Browse and select the invoice file.
- Click Upload. Portal will display an error message if there are any formatting issues with the file.
- If the invoice file is successfully uploaded, you will see it on the list. The list shows your uploaded files, status and how many shipments were matched in the file.
Fields in the invoice file:
- CarrierAccount - The account number that is shown on the invoice from the carrier. It should match the account number configured in DeliveryHub.
- InvoiceNumber - Invoice number on the invoice from the carrier.
- Shipment - The shipment numbers that are shown on the invoice from the carrier. The numbers must match the shipment numbers in DeliveryHub. Only the Shipment number OR the package number is needed.
- Package - The package numbers that are shown on the invoice from the carrier. The numbers must match the package numbers in DeliveryHub. Only the Shipment number OR the package number is needed.
- InvoiceDate - date must follow this format: yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss, otherwise the file will be rejected.
The Deviation journal is used to correct and verify any deviations generated by uploading the invoice files. A deviation occurs if multiple invoices containing different prices for the same shipment have been uploaded.
- Go to Insights > Deviation journal.
- Select any of the filters if relevant (for instance if you know what actor the shipments were created on) and click Run report.
- If there are any deviations found, the report will list the shipments you need to verify.
- Click on each of the shipments to display the deviations.
- If you are happy with the deviations, click on the Verify deviation button to accept them. These deviations will then be displayed in the Deviation Report.
- If you need to edit any of the prices this can be done by clicking the Edit icon. Edit any of the prices in the editable fields and click the tick icon to save the changes and overwrite the current price on the shipment.
- After saving any changes these will appear as a User correction in the Deviation journal.
In the Deviation report, you can view the deviations verified via the Deviation Journal.
- Go to Insights > Deviation Report.
- Configure any of the filters (see explanation below) if needed or leave them as default and click Run report. It is possible to exclude verified or not verified deviation shipments or only to see any unmatched lines.
- From the resulting report, you can click the download button to save a copy of the report as XSLX or CSV. You can also click the action wheel to add or remove columns displayed in the report.
Download and use the example file as a template for your carrier invoice files to make sure the format and fields are correct.