In nShift On-premises you have the option to print directly from On-premises Clients or add printers shared by On-premises Server.
Server printers can only be enabled on the server and they apply to all machines. They allow clients to print without having to install the printer.
Client printers can only be enabled on a client and they apply to the individual machine. Client and Server printers are added the same way but during setup, you choose either Client Printers or Server Printers.
This article will guide you through:
Client and Server printer setup
- Go to Setup in nShift On-premises. Right-click in the right side window on installation level and choose New > Client Printers or Server Printers. (Note: If you only have one computer running On-premises, the setup item will always be named Server Printers).
- In the Printer Manager window, click New to add a printer.
- Select your printer on the list and click OK.
- Specify the type in the Type column and click OK. If you need to add an A4 printer, select Windows (page).
- The printer has now been added to On-premises. If you want to set it as your default printer, click Advanced while the printer is highlighted.
- Select Settings > Set default printer > Labels or Freight documents depending on printer type and what the printer will be used for.
- Click OK to save your settings.
Note on Network printers:
When using server print in On-premises it is the local service, "Consignorserver", that executes the print. If you use network printers you have to log on to the service (Consignorserver) as a user with the proper rights to the printer. See step 5 in the guide from Microsoft here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755249.aspx
Also, see our article about Installing a Zebra printer if you need information about how to install a Zebra printer and printer drivers.
Document Printer Mapping
Document Printer Mapping (on server) will define a standard for all clients. If a client needs another printer defined, this should be done on the client in Document Printer Mapping.
- Go to Setup and select the level in the setup tree where you want to add Document Printer mapping.
- Right-click in the right side window and choose New > Document Printer Mapping.
- Depending on which level you have added Document Printer Mapping, you will see a number of labels and documents in the Document column. You now have several options. You can select default printers for specific documents.
- In the Override column you can choose User based or Import based. If you choose User based, additional options for User based printers become available.
- In the User based override list, click New to add a user. On-premises will show the Windows user names that have run On-premises.
- Choose a user and a printer and click OK to save the settings.
- If you choose Import based in the Override column, additional options for Import based printers become available.
- In the Import based printer override list, click New to define a new Import Key and select a printer. The import key can be used when you want to point to a specific printer in an import file.
- Click OK to save the settings.